Will Tottenham stadium be delayed another season?

The delays to the new Tottenham stadium continue with the Government refusing to make a decision on a Compulsory Purchase Order.

Will Tottenham stadium be delayed another season?


It is becoming increasingly frustrating for Spurs that a 10 week process has so far taken around 90 weeks and the Government refuses to say why.

Haringey Council applied to the Department for Communities and Local Government for the Compulsory Purchase Order in September 2012.

Local metalwork business, Archway Sheet Metal Works have held the club to ransom and the Government has simply sat on the matter. Are they going to pay the added cost of construction? How long is a 10 week process gong to take and how do you plan forward when you haven't a clue what is happening.

I had heard previously, whether it is right or not, that construction would have to start by September to be on time. It seems to me that the stadium will not be ready to move into after the summer of 2017, it's due finish date. The 2016/17 season is planned as possible ground share season while the stadium is completed. Delaying the Compulsory Purchase Order again will push that back and push up the cost.

A public inquiry concluded a Compulsory Purchase Order should be issued to Haringey Council which Archway Sheet Metal Works appealed against in April 2013. That was 14 months ago and still nothing comes forth from the Government.

Recent Stories:
Nabil Bentaleb interview
Ángel di María, Jackson Martínez, Memphis Depay, Jermain Defoe, Harry Redknapp
Former Spurs youngster Adam Smith questions Redknapp claims
Spurs alerted as Dier refuses Sporting contract offer again
Lukaku, Banega, Schär, Batshuayi, O'Shea
Sigurdsson reveals mental weakness

Secretary of State for DCLG, Eric Pickles has shown an inability to perform his duties by thus far taking far longer than the process should take. Spurs lawyers have consistently asked what is happening without success. A decision was expected in March, then at Easter and now we are nearly into July. Fourteen months for a ten week process is nothing short of incompetence.

Tottenham MP David Lammy asked a written question on Monday that received an inadequate reply from Nick Boles MP, parliamentary under-secretary for planning that effectively said nothing.

“This is a complex case. After the close of the inquiry there were matters in respect of which further views of the interested parties were sought and considered. This has delayed the decision in this case.

“We hope to issue the decision on this shortly. It is not appropriate to comment further as to do so may prejudice the Secretary of State’s decision.”

Mr Josif, one of the owners of Archway Sheet Metal Works declined to comment but said hoped things  could be dealt with "amicably and fairly," yet his actions are totally contrary to that.

Mr Lammy agrees that the process has taken far too long and felt he may have to go directly to the Prime Minister to sort the mess Mr Pickles has made of the process out.

“This decision has now gone on for too long, and we can see from these answers, how much longer this CPO is taking compared to most applications.

“Secretary of State, Eric Pickles has said he will be reaching a decision shortly. If he does not, I will raise this issue with the Prime Minister directly.”

It would seem we may well get another season delay if as everyone expects 'shortly' is a meaningless phrase and the season starts still with no decision for the incompetent Mr Pickles.



0 Response to "Will Tottenham stadium be delayed another season?"

Post a Comment